Instagram

Instagram: @chibihands

Friday, 27 May 2016

Church Prayer and Fasting Day

This year Pastor Mathews led our church in a day of prayer and fasting. I've never fasted and prayed before and always wanted to do it, but lacked guidance and direction. I've always believed fasting and prayer are needed in a time of desperation, but lately I feel that it should be practiced more routinely in my life. 

Matthew 6: 16-18
"Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou,when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; that thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." 

I love food so much and fasting was definitely a big challenge. I had to go to work today and so I only skipped breakfast. For many people this sounds super easy as they always skip breakfast, but for me it was something difficult to give up. I never skip breakfast. Going to work with an empty stomach was stressful for me because my work is quite physical. I was stressed about not being able to think and work properly and making lots of mistakes. 


However the purpose of fasting outweighed my worries. Christian fasting means to replace that time of eating with prayer. Prayer for things that are important in life: for salvation for friends and family and my own personal needs. 

This exercise of faith was humbling and also taught me A LOT about self-discipline. The following weeks after I decided to stop using Youtube, Facebook and Instagram respectively to rid myself of my addictions. I felt freedom from the vortex of the internet and much more in control of my life. 

Image result for mobile phone addiction

It was definitely a challenge though, because I had to do it for the sake of walking closer to God. God doesn't tell us to automatically stop using the internet and social media, in fact He is the one that blessed us with it. However when our hearts are captured by the idols of entertainment rather than God, it is good to put it aside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.