Instagram

Instagram: @chibihands

Thursday, 4 April 2013

Easter - God is Salvation

This year I attended Easter camp in South Australia. It was a joint church camp with Hope BP church in Adelaide. Our theme for the camp was 'God is Salvation' and we studied the whole book of Isaiah.
Isaiah is a very hard book to study (esp over 4 days), but our speaker was really clear and explained everything in a way that was really easy to digest. It was a brief overview of the book, but it has motivated me to read Isaiah again. I truly thank God for the camp committee who organised it and for being able to have fellowship with the 'Hopefuls'.

I love church camps because not only do I have tons of fun with friends, it is a time where I can grow in God's word and fellowship with like-minded brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles and etc. I've never met any of the Hopefuls but through the same faith in Christ, we know how to unite our hearts and praise God together as a family. We share the same love of God and encourage and strengthen each other in our walk with Him.
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (Prov 27:17).
There is a difference between giving/receiving advice to/from a non-Christian and a Christian friend. I sincerely appreciate advice from everyone, however when I receive advice from a non-Christian friend I never really feel at peace. Advice from a Christian friend (generally) keeps in mind what God's word says and they aim to bring me back to God, rather than just helping me fix my problem. They don't advise based on what they think is right, they base it on the Bible and what God has set as right. Advice from non-Christians tell me to solve my problem with my own strength and wisdom (which is weak), whereas advice from a Christian points me to God, to trust and rely on Him.
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple." (Psalms 19:7)
I try very hard to please God, not man. Though I fail often God uses friends to lift me up again.
Now I'm not saying that I don't take advice from my non-Christian friends seriously. Of course I value their advise and listen to it, I'm just explaining this difference I've experienced in my life.

Anyway on the way to camp:
There were 3 cars convoying to Adelaide. We communicated with walkie talkies which was pretty fun :P and we crossed a river on a ferry. I don't know why I was so excited by the ferry, but...IT WAS PREE COOL. Thank God for journey mercies. The driver in the car I was sitting in drove us all the way there by himself. What a tank!

At camp:
From this camp I think I've understood what it means to praise God all the day long. We literally sang morning, afternoon and night. I learnt so many songs. It was really heart warming and it just made me really happy. I like singing with everyone for God :] The Christian life is a life of praise to God. Many people think that the Christian life is restrictive. You can't do this, you can't do that. But I don't view it like that at all. We live with Christ in us and we receive God's love. Therefore we naturally tend to do things that will please God and His joy is becomes our joy (not to mention the blessings and peace he grants to those who obey). Though of course our sinful nature is always there to stumble us. But our happiness is not anchored in temporary pleasures like material goods. We do not travel through this world trying to find happiness, we already have it.

We had a special presentation night on Sunday where all the groups had to present an item. Some groups did skits and there were a lot of singing/action songs. It was REALLY fun, I really felt like every single person, whether young or old was connected that night. Everyone was laughing really hard for the whole 2 hours. It felt like we were a massive family!

No offence to Adelaide, but it's pretty boring. The Melb peeps went to Hahndolf which is like this German town outside the camp site. Everyone just called it Gandalf and started yelling "YOU SHALL NOT PASS". I like LOTR quotes. Enter LOTR quotes in your daily convo and I will love you.
The town was pretty, but not really anything amazing. The only thing that made it worth going there was that mum bought me opal earrings. I've wanted some opals for a long time, but I never found anything nice and affordable in Melb. It was cheaper in Adelaide because Coober Pedy is close by. Opals is the birthstone for October. There are many different colours for opals which is what I love. I got a milky white one, but the blue ones are beautiful as well. They reflect and glitter in the light.

Some things I've learned from the messages:
-The faith and obedience of Isaiah. Even before he started preaching, he was told by God that the people would not respond. Yet he obeyed willing and preached faithfully.
"Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17) Even though I've probably heard this 100 times, it really hit home again. Sometimes I find my faith wavering by the things I see. I see many things which trouble and disappoint me, but my faith should be anchored in the word of God. Not based on what I see.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1)
- God is a creator, therefore he creates. Well...duh. But I don't know why I didn't understand this before! I always wondered why God created the world. Rev Mark explained it this way - an artist will draw without needing a reason. It's just in his nature to draw and paint because that's what he likes to do. God is a creator therefore he creates. It just what he does.
- We shouldn't make our own standards and check God by it. Just. NO.

There is a lot that I learned, this is just what I can remember right off the top of my head.

If you're still reading, thanks for reading :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.