So
before I've noticed, 5 weeks of uni has already past. Uni feels so long and
tiresome during the day that I don't actually understand how it passed so
quickly. Once again, TOO MUCH INFO squeezed into such little time. But it's
still fun and I love the content. When I reflect on how much I've learnt just
in this year...my brain explodes.
But anyway, time to get serious. This past week has been so eventful and dramatic I don't even know where to start. I've been reminded again about the frailty of life. I've been thinking about how it only takes an instant for such important people in your life to disappear and how I take so many things for granted. One verse impressed on my mind as I did my daily devotions:
"As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand." Ecclesiastes 5:15
It is amazing how God speaks through the bible with perfect timing. If only one would pick it up and give God a chance to speak to the heart.
There is nothing in this world that I've earned or deserved. Naked came I into this world, and naked will I return. However, it is by the grace, mercy and love of God that I am who I am today. I have a loving family and friends that surround me, with easy access to all my necessities 24/7. It is God who has fashioned me, He is the potter and I am the clay (Isaiah 64:8) . I've been blessed with being brought up in the word of God and above all, receiving and accepting the gift of salvation. Salvation is the greatest gift to mankind and the message last Sunday tied in with my week.
But anyway, time to get serious. This past week has been so eventful and dramatic I don't even know where to start. I've been reminded again about the frailty of life. I've been thinking about how it only takes an instant for such important people in your life to disappear and how I take so many things for granted. One verse impressed on my mind as I did my daily devotions:
"As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand." Ecclesiastes 5:15
It is amazing how God speaks through the bible with perfect timing. If only one would pick it up and give God a chance to speak to the heart.
There is nothing in this world that I've earned or deserved. Naked came I into this world, and naked will I return. However, it is by the grace, mercy and love of God that I am who I am today. I have a loving family and friends that surround me, with easy access to all my necessities 24/7. It is God who has fashioned me, He is the potter and I am the clay (Isaiah 64:8) . I've been blessed with being brought up in the word of God and above all, receiving and accepting the gift of salvation. Salvation is the greatest gift to mankind and the message last Sunday tied in with my week.
It was based on Genesis 25, the chapter about Esau selling his birthright to his younger twin Jacob for a bowl of red pottage. Esau let a moment of hunger override his common sense and consequently lost his privilege as the first born. He lost his father's inheritance (a humongous inheritance) and undoubtedly what could've been a better life. Whenever I read this I always thought what a stupid man Esau was for playing right into Jacob's hands. However when I think about it, it's not like I'm any different. My salvation can be paralleled to Esau's birthright. If I'm distracted by the world and stupidly deceived by it a moment of weakness, I would be trading my future inheritance for something as insignificant as a measly bowl of pottage.
A measly bowl of pottage vs an uncomprehending amount of inheritance
I never, EVER want to give up my salvation for the world. The world promises you nothing, but God's promises abide forever.
Therefore, I always want to have a thankful and faithful heart and to "Set [my] affections on things above, not on things on the earth". Colossians 3:2
It's hard to remember what is temporal and what is eternal, but it's moments like this week that have reminded me what is important. Don't strive to fill your life with temporal happiness and excitement (not saying that you can't enjoy these things), but rather strive for happiness that will last an eternity. Happiness is to know the Saviour Jesus Christ, for He will shepherd you through all the rough times and is a friend that will never forsake you.
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matthew 6:33-4
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.